Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Would you like an option to have Checkbook quit when the (last) window is closed?
Poll ended at Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:03 pm
Yes 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
No 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Not sure 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:03 pm 

:( The new version is sluggish. Sometime it is just a noticeable pause before a keystroke is executed and sometimes the spinning beach ball remains for up to 30 seconds. No matter -- it is always a little slow now.

Also, one can no longer quit Checkbook by simply dismissing the Accounts dialog box, but we have to now also dismiss a new dialog box. For those of us who only wish to maintain a single checkbook, it would be nice if there were a preference to allow us to automatically avoid this last screen. It is un-Mac-like to not be able to quit the program by closing the last window.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:32 pm 

A "Don't display this message again" box would suffice.

Force of habit, for me, is to always type Command-S and Command-Q when I quit most anything, although Command-S seems to be gone from 2.5 (it has autosave).

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:56 pm 

I'd ditto that!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:35 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Bud,

On the performance issue on your end, would you mind emailing support@splasm.com so we can start working to figure out why things aren't as fast as we'd expect? There's a lot going on under the hood in 2.5, but 30 second delays aren't normal - and we've tested with tens of thousands of Entries to be sure that doesn't happen. Bound to be an explanation and we'll find it with you.

About the Launch window ... Hoo boy, it was a tough call on our part to finally switch to documents for storing CheckBook's Accounts, versus the original "shoebox" style where users didn't have to interact with their data file at all.

Over the years, we heard from a lot of users who wanted simpler ways of dealing with the data file. For them, the file was hidden too deeply, "somewhere" in their home folder, and it was basically a text file that the Mac didn't know what to do with and not easy to work with when backing up and restoring or moving to a new Mac or sharing with others. So we had a long think about it and, we think, anyway, that the benefits of full-fledged documents make them a win. Backups, sharing data with other users, restoring from backup, moving your data to alternative locations - even cloud storage folders like DropBox or Google Drive, managing more than one group of Accounts, and using iCloud are so much easier (though, sadly, that last one doesn't apply away from the Mac App Store) with the documents out in the open instead of tucked away.

Now that CheckBook uses documents, and has the additional user interface overhead to support them, we want our users to know their options when they close the current document. Sometimes it's even closed for them because we no longer have quite the level of control over what can happen during a CheckBook session. One example is when the document is in iCloud on two devices, both using the same document at the same time (which we've tested and it works well). If the document is moved out of iCloud on one device the user on the other device has to make a choice - save a copy of the document and keep working, or close it and lose it. If they choose to close the document, quitting the app without any warning would be pretty jarring - and closing the document but not showing anything but a menu bar at the top of the screen would be confusing. The Launch window softens that kind of thing. It's patterned after a workflow we saw in Apple's apps, one we first adopted in 2006 with Audiobook Builder. It even supports unmodified keys for opening and creating documents, getting help or quitting - you can hit the 'o', 'n', 'h' or 'q' keys without holding down the Command key.

Your ideas are part of our process, so please keep sending them in. This time around automatically quitting when the document is closed doesn't cover all our bases. We'll think on a preference, but please understand that there's a lot of thought going into these kinds of decisions - even when they seem quite cosmetic. It's never "let's move things around 'cause we can" over here!

https://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:09 pm 

[quote="keithg"] using iCloud are so much easier (though, sadly, that last one doesn't apply away from the Mac App Store)

Care to expand on what this means for those of us who've been with CBPro long before the App Store came into being? Does this mean we'll have to purchase again through the App Store when [if] MoneyBug comes along?

Cheers!
PGRider

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:43 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Apps that aren't purchased from the Mac App Store aren't allowed to use iCloud. In other words, purchases directly from us don't get access to iCloud. When MoneyBug comes it'll only be available from the iTunes App Store, so iCloud will be a given. Unfortunately, because of the Mac App Store requirement, syncing between Macs and iOS devices through iCloud won't be possible unless the app on the Mac side is purchased from the Mac App Store. At this stage, we're looking hard at supporting at least one major third-party cloud storage provider - likely DropBox.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:06 am 

Thanks. I addressed all this earlier in another post, so I won't rehash my thoughts vis a vis the MAS! Just will add the hope that DropBox sync will be available for the iOS version... :wink:

Really appreciate the hard work and especially the ability to now have multiple CBPro files on my Mac. Previously I had to set up another User in order to accommodate a business account and keep it separate from my personal ones.

Cheers!
PGRider

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:36 am 

keithg wrote:
Apps that aren't purchased from the Mac App Store aren't allowed to use iCloud. In other words, purchases directly from us don't get access to iCloud. When MoneyBug comes it'll only be available from the iTunes App Store, so iCloud will be a given. Unfortunately, because of the Mac App Store requirement, syncing between Macs and iOS devices through iCloud won't be possible unless the app on the Mac side is purchased from the Mac App Store. At this stage, we're looking hard at supporting at least one major third-party cloud storage provider - likely DropBox.

You could secure promotion codes and then send them to your users who have purchased your product outside the MAS... but that would require actually performing customer service... SIGH

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Don,

Unfortunately, we're only granted 50 promotional codes per update on the Mac App Store. That won't be enough to move all of our users over and it's not fair to only move a small number for free.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:55 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

An update on the performance issue we think you're seeing there, Bud:

We've had a couple of other users report the same issue, and the data we've gathered from them tells us it's in the way some Schedules may be set up. We're working to resolve this quickly, but it'll take a little time to make sure our changes don't make Schedules inaccurate. We'll definitely keep you posted on our progress. Thanks for hanging in there!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:24 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hello again, Bud,

We just released CheckBook Pro 2.5.1, which should perform much better for users who had completed Schedules set up with custom "repeat every X weeks/months/quarters/years" settings. You can download it at http://www.splasm.com/checkbookpro/update.html. I hope you'll give it a try soon!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:35 pm 

Ver 2.5.1 solved my performance issues. Much thanks.

It has introduced a new issue for me, though. Frequently when I quit Checkbook, I get an error message that Checkbook ran out of memory and couldn't save my changes. It then goes on to discuss a missing file in the invisible var directory. I monitored that directory and watched the file be created when I opened Checkbook and then shortly thereafter be erased, subfolders and all, even if I was just staring at my screen doing nothing. When I would quit Checkbook, I would get the error messages.

I found that a shift boot fixes the problem for a few Checkbook sessions and then it occurs again. It may be that just a normal reboot has the same temporary-fix effect but that is a major inconvenience. It is especially unwelcome if I have made a lot of changes (like balancing my checkbook--fortunately I got through that without this happening). :o

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:16 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Bud,

The folder is removed while a document is open in CheckBook Pro? This has the feeling of something intentionally wiping our temporary folder(s) while the app is still running. We keep a temporary database file in a private temp folder the entire time each document is open. If that file is removed you'll definitely get a load of errors. It's sounds like something on your Mac is aggressively hunting temp folders to delete and jumping the gun with running apps.

You mentioned restarting with Shift held down, so that you end up in Safe Mode, but that you see the errors after a time anyway. Can you confirm the errors are happening even when the Mac is in Safe Mode?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:46 pm 

Keith G.,

For the short time that I remained in shift-boot mode, I did not experience the problem but I do not yet suspect an init program. I did a regular reboot after about 5 minutes. Also, I had the problem just now and a regular reboot fixed it (for now).

Here's something else. While Checkbook is running, I have not only seen the var subfolder disappear, but also reappear and disappear again, sometimes several times within a few seconds. It seems unlikely to me that I have a an app running in the background that behaves like this. Also, I haven't noticed this problem in other apps, and this behavior didn't start until 2.5.

Can you think of nothing at your end? I made a screenshot just now of the error message. I don't see a way to post it here. If you send me a private message I will attach it for you. Meanwhile, I am going to reinstall 2.5.1. Maybe that will take care of it.