Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:14 am 

I am about to purchase Checkbook Pro. I currently have Moneywell ver 2.1.1 on a MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion. Moneywell will export a QIF file. On that Moneywell file are several accounts (checking account, savings account, a couple of credit cards). I tried importing that file into the trial version of Checkbook Pro, but could import only one account at a time, and I ended up with only a single account on Checkbook Pro. I think the four accounts (checking account, savings account, a couple of credit cards) were sort of superimposed on top of each other. Is that because I was working with the trial version of Checkbook Pro? In other words, if I purchase Checkbook Pro, and then download it, will the Checkbook Pro "import" feature import all of my accounts as individual accounts as they are at Moneywell, and not superimpose them on each other? Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:22 am 

I'm not sure about Moneywell, but CBPro had no trouble importing from Quicken and [later]from Pocket Money. All my accounts came through just fine. One thing you might want to do is try again with the demo. Clear out what is in the demo and then export each account separately from MW and then import into the demo.

I haven't done this in a while, but it should work.

Good luck!
PGRider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:12 am 

Thanks. As it happens, I also have Quicken Essentials for Mac, which is what I have been using on my MBP (I am a recent transfer from Windows where I used Quicken for many years). QEM is weak, so I switched to Moneywell, importing everything from QEM successfully. However, I do not like Moneywell's format, which is why I am switching to Checkbook Pro. Anyway, I have tried importing QEM's QXF file and Moneywell's QIF file, and both create the same single file in Checkbook Pro's trial version.

Importing from Moneywell into Checkbook Pro's trial version was one account at a time. But again, they all piled onto one another. Importing from QEM into Checkbook Pro's trial version was an "all at once" operation, and they too all displayed on top of one another as one account.

Oops. "Read The Manual" -- On this website is written "Download CheckBook Pro for a Risk-Free Trial and enter up to 100 transactions per account". I expect that explains my problem. I would like confirmation of that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We sorted things out with @stefanmaine over email, but wanted to post the solution here for future users:

With importing into the application, whether trial version or not, Accounts will only get merged if that's how they exist in the file due to being exported from the other program in that manner. Now, it's possible to export a single QIF file from Quicken (not sure about MoneyWell's export options) with all the accounts contained such that they can be imported independently—this'll require multiple imports into corresponding accounts in CheckBook Pro, but will save time versus exporting individual files for each Account. For that, check out Quicken Essential's Export options under the File menu (in the later versions of QEM, the option is called 'Export to Quicken 2007' and generates a file with a .qmtf extension, but that's the same as QIF). Then, in CheckBook Pro use the button labeled 'Import Account' to choose from the different Accounts.

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:35 am 

This reply is long after the original question here, but a Google search of "import Moneywell into Checkbook Pro" brings up this thread at the top of the list, so others will undoubtedly be reading it ... into digital eternity, I suppose.

So, I will add to Allan's parenthetical note "(not sure about MoneyWell's export options)": I have gone through the same migration as others from numerous versions of Quicken for Windows to Mac versions of Quicken and then Moneywell and finally to Checkbook Pro. Moneywell will export to QIF (File>Export) which Checkbook Pro will import (File>Import>QIF or QMTF). Import bank accounts from your Moneywell QIF file one at a time. That is, for example, in CBP create a new checking account (File>New>Account), and let it open a blank page, and then, with that blank page open in CBP, import that checking account from the Moneywell QIF file into CBP (File>Import>QIF or QMTF). Then, one by one, do the same for any other bank accounts on the Moneywell QIF file.

And if you stumble, as I did a couple of times, contact CBP (Splasm) for help. Response is prompt, generous, and complete!