Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:28 pm 

Hi,

the lastest version of Audiobook Builder is 1.5.3 in the App Store and in 2 weeks it celebrates its second birthday without any update. .. Wow.
No batch/query functions, no multicore support ... nothing

I have read old threads here (nearly as old as the actual version) with lots of promises for updating with new features and so on.. but nothing happend so far.

I use this programm since (dunno exactly) 2007 or 2008 and I can't remember any update with great new features. It is still the old, ugly and lame attendent that it was from the beginning (sorry).
Don't get me wrong, ABB is still a good program or rather sadly the best I know for building audiobooks, but batching and multicore support are basic functions in my eyes.
I have a lot of books to convert and its no fun to do it all manually book for book.
With this speed I will still convert books in 100 years.

So my question is: Will there ever be a updated version, which makes it easier to convert books after all this years or will it never happen?

Sorry for my bad english, I am not a native speaker.

Best regards

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Getting a new version of Audiobook Builder out has, unfortunately, taken a backseat to some of our other projects. We haven't given up on the application, though. We're hoping to get to developing version 2 sometime soon—that's the update slated to include batch processing and multicore support. We can't say for sure when we'll get it out the door, but it'll happen.

We appreciate your long-lasting support and hope you can hang in there a while longer!

http://www.splasm.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:03 am 

I have also been using ABB for years and it is still the best out there! However, I would be more than happy to pay for version 2.0 if it included batch processing and multicore support.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:08 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for chiming in—we greatly appreciate your feedback and support! Batch processing and multicore support are still very much being planned as feature additions for version 2. The release date for that is also still very much in the air, though! Keep checking back!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:37 pm 

So you haven't even started on an update yet, man you guys are really resting on your laurels in a big way, I've been using AudioBook builder for years, and I've loved it,
For a long time you were the only really good option out there.

This However is no longer the case, there are now other options.

Audiobook Binder is excellent, gets regular updates open source
Max.app amazing amount of options including AAC-HE every file format you could imagine is here for conversion, also has the option to join the output files together Max.app is also open source, everyone should have this app.
Join Together is now excellent also gets regular updates 3 in 2014 alone,
ChapterMark is ok some what stalled.

The other options are either free or no more expensive then ABB the niche you had all to yourself is now gone and others have found it, and in the process of resting on your 2 year old software other developers are in here iterating and updating there software regularly, which is what people like us love to see.

I doubt this post will have an impact on what you guys do, but as a long time user of your software products i felt I had to let you know how I was feeling about Splasm as a company.

Its not good at the moment the brand loyalty you've had from me and others for years now has been ticking away with the neglect of ABB and its pretty much gone now, hearing that you haven't even started on any updates not even small iterative updates has kicked the last of it out of me.

So balls in your court I'm at the point where I'm leaving the court and going to play with someone else.
Maybe you can pull out a game winning update but i doubt it given nothing is done as of yet. So I shall look on with interest.

Best of luck

Regards,

Deepwinter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

We appreciate your support over the years and it's great to receive some feedback. However, it was never stated that we haven't started on any update whatsoever. Above, it's version 2 that's being discussed and the requested features are big changes that warrant a major version numbering jump and those will be coming eventually, but we've still got some updates slated for version 1. There's an update completed that's going to be released once we finish up some other projects, but the most noticeable change that's coming in that is the addition of retina graphics.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:13 pm 

Retina Graphics, really do you think that retina graphics are even on or near the top of anyones list. its not.

Look its pretty clear to us from this thread and reading replies on other threads that Splasm is and has been putting the vast majority of its time into CheckBook Pro. This is confirmed by your statement that your next release will be retina graphics which is a tiny tiny update of no value to the functionality of ABB and an update that most people dont care about, tbh it feels like a keep them quiet for a while update.

AAC-HE would be more valuable to more users and certainly more requested and to say it needs a version 2 update for that, just doesn't make sense AAC-HE is part of Core Audio, which makes its implementation easy and not worthy of a version 2 update, maybe if your adding more obscure codecs outside of Core audio.

AAC-HE is a highly requested update and easily implemented please put someone on it and get it done we don't want the update after Retina to be new sound effects/ another excuse.

Sorry if my post is on the harsh side but your last post was annoying, your customers are not stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:31 am 

I am afraid, that I have to agree with Deepwinter.

In a few weeks ABB celebrates its THIRD anniversary of no update. Thats a shame.

And reading that there will be (some day) an update for retina of all things sounds like a bad joke. Its an audio editing tool. I dont give a f*** on graphic. I want better codecs, batch/queue functions and multicore support in the first place.
After that is done, we can talk about how ugly the GUI is :D

I think the company does not trust anymore in their own product or isn't even interested. So I looked for alternatives. Sorry guys, but I lost patience with you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:13 pm 

Here is an alternative. I've used it to create 24kbps HE-AAC Chapterized audiobooks. They sound great; it's amazing!

The trick is first use XLD, http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html, to convert the audio to HE-AAC.

Next, use Fusion, http://rogueamoeba.com/fission/, to merge the individual files into 1 huge file. After putting in the sections (Chapters) and doing all of the work you want to do on the sections, you save it out as a Chapterized AAC file. This is all done losslessly and you're not reencoding the audio.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Splasm is just ignoring their customers and as such, their customers are now leaving them.