Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:37 pm 

Audiobook Builder 1.2.5 Build 3 worked perfectly for me until today when I updated from Mac OS 10.6.5 to 10.6.6. Now although iTunes is able to get and display CD and track names, Audiobook Builder ignores them and uses (for example) "Audio CD" as the CD title and "1 Audio Track", "2 Audio Track" and so on for the track names. I tried reinstalling and updating Audiobook Builder, but that didn't help. Is this a problem between Audiobook Builder and OS 10.6.6, or do I have something else going on?

Thanks,
Chip

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:08 pm 

To clarify, this occurs when importing directly from CD into ABB. If I import from CD into iTunes, then import from iTunes into ABB, the track names seen by iTunes carry over to ABB.

Chip

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:30 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Can you tell us if the Finder itself sees the track names and cd name or is that also just a generic Audio Cd with generic track names? Does the audio Cd show up on your desktop?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:54 pm 

Yes, the audio CD appears on my desktop (if I enable that in Finder preferences).

Finder displays "Audio CD" as the CD title, and "1 Audio Track.aiff", "2 Audio Track.aiff", and so on as the track names.

iTunes 10 successfully retrieves and displays a real disk title and track names from the Gracenote Media Database.

Audiobook Builder displays "Audio CD" as the CD title, and "1 Audio Track.aiff", "2 Audio Track.aiff", and so on as the track names, same as the Finder.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Audiobook Builder actually pulls the track names and data from the Finder. iTunes is suppose to send these track names and CD name to the Finder when it does the lookup.

There may be an issue with the communication between iTunes and the Finder. One thing you can try would be to locate the following file: Users/[Your user name here]/library/preferences/CD Info.cidb

The CD Info.cidb file is where all of the CD and track names are stored for the Finder.

You can try quitting iTunes, moving this file to the desktop or anywhere outside of the preferences folder and then trying the lookup of the CD again. a new copy of CD Info.cidb should be generated and the track info should be sent to the finder and be displayed there.

It may also help to try restarting your Mac after removing this file. Let us know if this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:33 pm 

Thanks Randy, I wasn't aware of the iTunes -> Finder -> Audiobook Builder sequence for getting CD and track names into Audiobook Builder.

I deleted CD Info.cidb and rebooted the Mac as you suggested, but that didn't solve the problem. Finder and ABB still display "Audio CD" as the CD title, and "1 Audio Track.aiff", "2 Audio Track.aiff", and so on as the track names for the audiobook I was working on.

I also downloaded and reinstalled iTunes 10.1.1, but that didn't help either.

Then I started shoving bunches of audio CDs into the drive. iTunes never failed to get the CD titles and track names from the Gracenote database and display them in iTunes. Finder was able to display the CD titles and track names for most of them, but for some of then all Finder ever showed were the generic "Audio CD", "1 Audio Track.aiff", and so on.

I then tried the same CDs in another Mac with the same OS version (10.6.6) and iTunes version (10.1.1) and got exactly the same results. The same CDs that showed generic titles in Finder on the first Mac also showed generic titles in Finder on the second Mac, even though iTunes displayed the titles from the Gracenote database. This is very strange, and I don't remember it being a problem before I upgraded our Macs to OS 10.1.1.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:33 am 

Randy,

A search of the Apple support forum turned up a few other reports of Gracenote info not appearing in Finder even though it appears in iTunes. Based on that and on what you've said, this sounds like an iTunes and/or Finder bug, not an Audiobook Builder bug. I've submitted a bug report to Apple.

Thanks for your help, and for a great piece of software!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:28 pm 

I'm having the same trouble with generic track names (1 Audio Track ...) showing up in ABB instead of the track names displayed in iTunes. I have iTunes 10.1.1, MAC OSX 10.6.6, and ABB 1.2.5 Build 3.

Reading the messages already posted in this topics, I have checked and Finder also shows the generic track names rather than the ones shown in iTunes.

I quit iTunes, moved CD Info.cidb elsewhere and restarted iTunes. This changed nothing.

I examined CD Info.cidb and I found that the track names are visible in that file along with a bunch of (to me) indecipherable stuff including binary. My guess is that CD Info.cidb has been updated correctly by iTunes but Finder and ABB are not using it correctly.

I have posted a message on the Apple user forum asking about this. But the fact the the track names are found in CD Info.cidb makes me wonder if iTunes is the problem. Did the format of the file change at some time.

I've used ABB mostly for making books out of audio I download from the web so my experience with AudioBooks on CD is more limited and I haven't done it recently so the 10.6.6 MAC OSX or iTunes 10.1.1 upgrades may be involved.

Thanks.