Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:03 pm 

OK, I've been using the ipod mini primarily lately (wife has been using the ipod video) & I've been listneing to one long ABB audiobook (ripped at 64kbps, stereo) and have only had one problem. I'm not even sure that it's related to ABB. I've been flipping back & forth from the book (The Collectors) to podcasts. The only problem I had was one time when I unplugged my ipod mini from my mac & went to listen to the collectors, the file had gone back to the beginning. This could be related to ABB, but it could almost as easily have been that I hit a button somewhere that reset things. Overall, I'd describe this as positive.

I went to rip another audiobook this AM & Noticed something else about my settings in ABB. The Collectors was the first Audiobook that I ripped in ABB using "import as a single file" instead of using chapters. I don't know if it's the ipod mini, or if it's importing as a single file, but something is working better. I'm almost done with the Collectors & will be on to another book soon, so I'll have a better idea if some of my earlier non-single-file ABB's reset the mini or not. Just wanted to pass this along, in case it helps to isolate the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:23 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We sent our Developer Technical Support request to Apple today.

Our test case consists of a 5-hour AIFF of white noise with intermittent silence, exported to MPEG-4, 32Kbps, mono, 24kHz from QuickTime Player. We instructed Apple the file is not to be renamed with a ".m4b" file extension, should be copied directly to the iPod to ensure the file on the iPod is identical to the original copy, and the file is to be set to "Remember playback position" via iTunes.

We've confirmed the test file fails on a pair of 5th-generation iPods with Video. This indicates the issue is neither specific to Audiobook Builder's output nor Audiobooks in general. It could probably happen to any MPEG-4 audio file that the iPod treats as bookmarkable. To date we have not encountered any iTunes Store Audiobook parts that are over approximately 2:20:00 in length, and we have not duplicated the issue with our own test files of the same length. This indicates the issue may indeed be related to file length, or is at least less likely with shorter files.

We hope to hear from Apple within the next couple of weeks. We'll share everything we learn with everyone watching this discussion. Stay tuned.

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:09 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

So how are things moving with Apple?

The short answer is they've moved just a bit but we do not yet have any technical details to share with everyone.

Our Developer Technical Support representative discussed the issue with several engineering teams at Apple and, at the iTunes group's request, asked us to file a bug report through a separate channel (http://bugreport.apple.com). I can tell you our initial reaction to this was not positive because our experience with bug reporting is the result is considerably less than immediate and anything but personal. But, we realized DTS just couldn't support the issue because it is very likely a bug and there's no way to code around it. So, we filed the bug report. Our DTS rep will track the issue along with us and (hopefully) advocate our cause if or when the process gets unbearably slow. We've made it very clear that barring a restatement of the iPod's specs to disavow bookmarking we expect Apple to provide an iPod firmware upgrade to resolve what we have proven is their issue. Now we're anxiously awaiting our first response from the appropriate bug reporting folks. As always, we're thankful everyone is being so patient. We'll keep you posted on our progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:48 am 

I very rarely sync my Ipod to Itunes. Typically I load several books and then do not go back for weeks. Charging, when necessary, is done with the power pack. I am using a 30gb, Gen 5 Ipod that is about 3 months old but I had the same problem with my older Gen 3 - 20gb.

My Ipod resets to the top menu or jumps to the next selection usually the first time I use it in a day. For the rest of the day it is fine. However when left overnight, with or without the charger, the Ipod resets. It is my sense that the Ipod goes into a power deep sleep mode when left for a "long" period of time and when the book resumes it plays for a minute or two then abruptly goes to the top menu or the next selection, losing the bookmarks in the process. I now jot down the location when I restart in the morning. I have not experienced this problem with books downloaded from Audible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Audible.com content is in a proprietary format and while we've seen a few scattered reports of it inducing the same symptoms as generic MPEG-4 audio files it may very well be that any issues for that format may have been resolved in more recent iPod firmware. Could you share the name and length of the longest individual Audible.com track you've got there?

Post subject: Audible - longest track
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:47 pm 

I am away from my main Macintosh while on vacation so I loaded 5 books using ABB onto IPOD. None are currently from Audible.com although I have a prepaid 12 month subscription and will start using it in April when I return.

Please feel free to email m directly if you want any more information.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:45 am 

Just had the ABB crash happen on an audible file. The book is Dead Even by Brad Meltzer. The circumstances are similar, but not exactly the same as what happens to my ABB files. I purchased this file directly through itunes (not audible) I listened to the first part of it (30 seconds or so) but I'm 90% sure I listened to this part in itunes. I then synced, listened to several podcasts, movies, etc on my ipod & then listened to Dead Even. It went on for quite a while (probably 10-15 minutes) and then gave me the crash. This time I got the folder with the exclamation point showing up on my screen for a few seconds before it restarted, then it went through the usual routine, ending with my going back to audiobooks & getting to Dead Even & seeing that the bookmark had restarted to zero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:36 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The behavior with the file purchased through the iTunes Store does seem a little different. It sounds like the iPod soft crashed instead of just returning to the main menu or skipping to the next track. The iPod did discard your previously set bookmark, though. Bookmarks set in iTunes are supposed to be carried over to the iPod, and vice versa. Thanks for sharing that experience!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:49 pm 

It does seem like it may be a different issue, but as I listened to it today, I noticed that the crash occurred right at the first chapter split (actually 36 minutes into the book-I guess I was more into it that I realized), which is exactly how the ABB problems occur.

Again, probably a different problem, but I did want to add it to the knowledge base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Do you mean the issue with the Audiobook purchased through the iTunes Store happened again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:17 pm 

I guess that last post was pretty unclear. The issue I was referring to in my last post was the issue with the audiobook pourchased through itunes. The issue happened only one time. My last post was just in reference to the fact that the book crashed & reset to zero at the first break in the book (which is @ 36 minutes, rather than at 15 minutes in, which I originally thought. No more crashes (then again, I haven't tried to either), just clarification on the first crash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:45 pm 

I was wondering if it had been determined what the maximum length of a bookmarkable file could be without causing the loss of bookmarks.

I know it had been partially discussed that the file could be between 4-5 hours in length and in most cases the file would have no issues.

I am considering purchasing this software very soon, and will be re-doing alot of the audiobook I made in the past using a Windows (I now have a Mac) product called Markable and am wondering what the recommended file length should be.

Also, has their been any movement from Apple on this issue? I know that this has been an issue in various formats for at least a couple of years. I had a problem where my iPod would freeze solid when my iPod went to sleep when using bookmarkable files. I found later that re-encoding my files to 64Kbps stereo resolved the issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for considering Audiobook Builder!

Our tests show the issue can occur with files that are as little as 3 hours in length, though we have never duplicated it with shorter files. If we had to recommend a Part length now we would say 3 hours if the occasional hiccup won't be too annoying and 2.5 hours if not.

The latest from Apple is that we haven't yet received permission from Apple to relay the latest from Apple. All we can safely say right now is that we are continuing to push them for a resolution while calmly remaining aware our priorities are not their priorities.

Thanks for adding your experience to the discussion - and welcome to the Mac! Feel free to open a new discussion or email us for any additional details while you get acquainted with Audiobook Builder.

Post subject: Me too - for years...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:45 pm 

I am both sorry and glad to report that I have also experienced this problem. I am glad to find that I am not the only one, and that there appears to be a workaround.

I am sorry, because I had hoped that AudiobookBuilder would avoid the problem. Last year I used a different piece of software involving iTunes scripts to create audiobooks. It had no problems at all with short books for my kids, but it was almost unlistenable (and very embarassing to be less than technolgically astute in front of my family) when playing the much longer Peter and the Starcatchers or Harry Potter. Now I have made some books for my daughter, and she is reporting the same problems. Since I am using a new computer and a new iPod and new software, I think it is safe to say that this is Apple's (or Quicktime's) problem!

I have nothing useful to add other than I have had zero problems with those short kids books (Magic Tree House - all between 30 and 90 minutes).

Good luck getting Apple to fix the bug. In the meantime, I'll rip the next book using 4 hour segments and see if that solve's my daughter's problems. (Mine too - I think I was seeing the same problem, though I have been using a shuffle, so I have no idea what is actually happening)

Doug

Post subject: Doh!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:51 am 

Well, this problem affected me also. I imported Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire using ABB at standard "Normal" settings. I am listening to it on a first gen 2GB Nano. I paused the book last night, and then this morning when I started it up again, it played fine for about 5 seconds, then jumped to the next audiobook. When I went back to HPatGoF, it had lost the bookmark.

I've listened to lots of audible.com content and audiobooks that I imported using iTunes and making playlists of and have never had this problem before.

I hope that Splasm and Apple can find a solution for this, as I REALLY like the ABB program and the resulting audiobook is a lot slicker than having playlists, but this problem is quite frustrating.

If I can supply any info to help, please let me know.
Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next