Splasm Software Discussions

a user community for the betterment of Splasmkind
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:43 pm 

I converted a file with Podner and the video converted fine however there was no audio. Here are the spec's from the original file:

MPEG1 Muxed, 320 x 240

I tried converting to MPEG4 and H.264 and arrived at the same results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:25 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Unfortunately, an Apple-acknowledged issue with QuickTime's MPEG and MPEG-2 decoder is the root cause of what you're seeing and not hearing. We tried to forewarn everyone at the Podner FAQ page, which has a link to Apple's explanation. The short of it is that if the MPEG or MPEG-2 video and audio are mixed into the same "track" instead of as separate tracks, they can't both end up in the re-encoded file.

Here's a link to the Podner FAQ page: http://www.splasm.com/support/faqpodner.html. You'll find the details toward the bottom of the page.

We're thinking about ways around this but we don't have a concrete plan yet. We'll let everyone know if and when we do.

https://www.splasm.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:05 pm 

Thanks for looking into this one Keith. You guys would really push this software over the edge for a lot of fence sitters if you could work something out for a user friendly and behind the scenes demuxing capability. I imagine the video would first have to be demuxed and then done over again in the correct ipod format which would take extra time. That would be alright with me if it could all be done for me. Hope you guys can work something out here.

Thanks,
Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:11 pm 

also Elo,
As a temporary solution for you, I've been using ffmpegx for my demuxing needs. I turn the file into divx and it demuxes it for me. Then I run it through podner after that. Ffmpegx is overly complicated and an incredibly big pain in the butt for what we want to do to say the least, but it gets the job done. Apparently you can turn your video into ipod compatible stuff using ffmpegx but I tried many times using a tutorial with NO luck. So take this as a helpful workaround until the guys at Podner get something worked out.
Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:33 pm 

I just purchased podner, and converted a bunch of my videos and none of them have sound:( I am gonna try your workaround, I really hope podner remedies this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:19 am 

I feel your pain Jimmie. I waited 4 hours on a video that ended up not having sound. I forgot to check if the sound was muxed or not. Man, you know I think Steve (Jobs) was right about video in some ways. It just not really ready for this kind of usage. Processors aren't fast enough to quickly work with video, formats haven't really been narrowed down to a select few (like mp3 for music, and jpg for photos) and it can get so technical that you end up pulling your hair out by the time you get it all figured out.
Don't get me wrong, I love having the ability, but MAN its been very close to more of a pain than its worth sometimes.
Thanks again to Podner for working on making things less of an inconvenience though.
Matthew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:27 am 
Administrator
Administrator

If any of you folks want to try a pre-release build of Podner that includes a potential workaround for the MPEG muxed audio issue please drop us a line at customerservice@splasm.com. We would love to have four or five users affected by the issue eyeball what we've got cooking. With any luck, after stress-testing with some good garden variety and exotic MPEG source we hope to release our answer to the MPEG muxed audio issue very soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:51 pm 

Downwithdlaw wrote:
also Elo,
As a temporary solution for you, I've been using ffmpegx for my demuxing needs. I turn the file into divx and it demuxes it for me. Then I run it through podner after that. Ffmpegx is overly complicated and an incredibly big pain in the butt for what we want to do to say the least, but it gets the job done. Apparently you can turn your video into ipod compatible stuff using ffmpegx but I tried many times using a tutorial with NO luck. So take this as a helpful workaround until the guys at Podner get something worked out.
Matthew

Yeah, I have ffmpegx and totally forgot that I can demux using that. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

We just released Podner 1.0.1 this afternoon - complete with support for most MPEG audio. Ran into a couple of examples of "crufty" MPEG source, and correctly handling that gives Podner the ability to process audio from files that ffmpeg just won't handle - MPEG embedded in existing QuickTime movie files, VCD rips and more.

Grab the latest version of Podner at http://www.splasm.com/downloads/podner/Podner.dmg

Enjoy it and let us know how well it works for you!